Spencer is studying California History this year in school (missions, gold rush etc) so we decided to take a trip out to gold country. Our first stop though was the Jelly Belly Factory. Fun tour, yummy samples and lots of adventure (see below)
During April at Jelly Belly Factory they had what is called Bean Boozled. You spin the spinner and whatever it lands on you get to try it--but you really don't know what you are getting. For example Spencer tried it and it landed on Banana/pencil shavings. They are both identical. So you don't know what you get until you try it. Spencer got pencil shavings. So I decided to try my luck. I landed on double dare. That meant I got 2 samples. Here were my lovely "options" black licorice/skunk spray and carmel corn/moldy cheese. Well, I lucked out (ha!) I ended up with skunk spray and moldy cheese. Skunk spray was the worst of the two--just for your info. (I think you can click on the picture to see it larger and see what other combinations there were, most were pretty nasty sounding!)
We had a great time touring along highway 49. We started in Placerville and headed out to the Gold Discovery sight at Sutter's Creek. We saw the replica of the mill and what life was like for the miners. There is a fair amount of information on the Mormon Battalion and we even ran into a couple from Sacramento that were "called" to be docents at the park for the replica of the Mormon Cabin. It is a beautiful area right there along the American river with rolling hills and lots of wild flowers and greenery (at least at this time of year). We spent the night in Placerville then headed to Auburn to see some of the sights there. Of course the kids loved the pool at the Motel probably the most. Panning for gold was a highlight too.
Marshall gold discovery Monument
4 comments:
Oh that sounds wonderful! Well, the family time and trip, not your choices.
We've done that tour but it's been a while, we'll have to go again. We'll be passing it every Wednesday when we go visit Craig at the Academy very soon.
You have a wonderful family Kristen and are a great example to me!
Janet
Sounds like a blast...minus the yucky Jelly Belly flavors. I love the Gold Country. We discovered an awesome train depot near Sonora by accident and it was great. This was when Aidan was totally into trains so it was extra great for him.
I need to get your itinerary. That sounds like a quick, fun weekend trip.
I've just been revamping the William and Melissa Coray story into a PowerPoint presentation and am just about where they make it to Sutter's Mill on their way over the Sierra to Utah. What fun you had!
Post a Comment