Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sand Dunes

We took the kids out to Bruneau Dunes on Memorial Day. We had never been there so weren't sure what to expect. We're driving along out in the middle of nowhere (ie. sagebrush and not much else) and then you see these massive dunes. Now that is alot of sand. This first picture is one of the small ones. We had a great time hiking, sliding, digging etc
We all made it to the top of the largest one and acording to our brochure it's the tallest sand dune in America. It was so steep near the top that you could only make progress if you were on your hands and knees. Kyle got to carry Brenna the last little bit.

Here we are at the top



I hiked over to the highest spot, so here I am at the VERY highest point.




We were all pretty beat and full of sand when we got home but it was a great trip.










Last but not least, after our trip to the dunes we headed home for a BBQ and homemade ice cream. I made blackberry this time and it turned out delicious. I made a gallon so we had plenty of left overs. This picture is the next day after it had been in the freezer. Look good? It was!

7 comments:

Shannon B said...

HOW fun!! Sand dunes are a strange but cool thing! The ice cream looks and sounds AMAZING! I want some!!

Stefani said...

this sounds like a great time! Especially the ice-cream part. I'm still looking for an ice-cream freezer so I can make yummy treats like that.

karensumpter said...

Boy, that physical therapy must be working!

Jyll said...

Looks like a blast! And how strange, but CO has a set of sand dunes too. Go figure that two land-locked states would have huge sand dunes. And that ice cream looks really yummy. Can you send some my way, please?

Lindseys said...

The dunes look like a blast and the ice cream looks delicious.

Stimpsons said...

we got an ice cream maker for Mother's Day. What's your recipe for blackberry?

Janet said...

sounds like such a fun time! :)