Thursday, October 16, 2008

Farming with Uncle Larry

Ok--so this happened over a month ago and I'm finally getting around to posting it. My Uncle Larry called and said they were starting the potato harvest and to come get some potatoes. Brenna and I headed over one afternoon and got to go in the rows that had been dug and fill up boxes of potatoes for us. We got probably 150 lbs worth. We had fun and we even got to ride in the tractor with Uncle Larry. He is driving the one picutred on the right hooked up to the big contraption that pulls the potatoes out of the ground (that have already been dug up by the other machine picutred) and they travel up the conveyer belt to shake off all the dirt and separate out any rocks and other debris and then loaded onto a semi who then takes it to Simplot who takes those and makes them into frenchfries, tatertots, etc that you would find in your frozen food section. Pretty amazing all this hi-tech farm stuff. Can you say "lots of potatoes!" Wow. Thanks for the tour Uncle Larry!


4 comments:

Stefani said...

Wow! Very Cool! Uncle Larry and his Potatoes ROCK!!

Natalie said...

There are HUGE advantages to living in Idaho! Yummy!

Meghan said...

That's so awesome! I love potatoes in all variations. :)

Annie said...

The one thing I definitely miss about living in Idaho. Freshly dug potatoes. There is no comparison!